Friday 20 January 2012

I'm not laughing *at* you, I'm laughing *near* you...


A few months ago ElderChild was discussing a story with YoungerChild and she kept coming back to this man who was on a journey in his “yaatchet”.  Ok, perhaps I’m completely out-of-the-loop with all these made-up concepts in video games and such, so I let it slide.  But finally it gets the better of me and I ask “What’s a yaatchet?”   ElderChild opens the book on her lap, flips thru a few pages, and says “I’m not sure.  But it’s right here in the book.  Y-A-C-H-T.  Yaatchet.” 

Fast-Forward to this week.  YoungerChild is contemplating plastic aloud.  She’s trying to think of everything she can that is made of plastic and she’s compiled a really great list (she likes to make lists).  Every now and then ElderChild contributes an item, including listing “The people in The Hunger Games”.   This one catches me by surprise.  I clearly had misunderstood much of the story when friends had described the trilogy to me.  I just have to ask.  “Are the people in The Hunger Games really made of plastic?”  and ElderChild responds “Yes.  Because they’re always having Plastic Surgery. ”

There are times when, despite your best intentions, you can’t help but laugh at your own child, to their face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment